Sunday, 27 July 2014

My NCS Experience - Part One.


I mentioned a couple of times here and there about things I would be getting up to this summer. One thing I had signed up for was NCS The Challenge, a three week course which consisted of a personal challenge, a team challenge and a campaign to help the community. The program is available for 15 to 17 year olds inside of the UK. I signed up after hearing loads about how great NCS is but I was still really apprehensive. I'm not a very sociable person and sometimes find it incredibly difficult to keep even a simple conversation going so signing up for this was scary for me. Luckily, I managed to convince one of my other friends to sign up on the same wave as me.

Leading up to the first week I was super excited. I was getting ready to do things that I had never done before and some of these things terrified me but I was excited none the less. I packed my suitcase full of jogging bottoms, old jeans and old t-shirts ready to live in the outdoors for a week (by outdoors I mean the High Ashurt Outdoor center in Surrey). The day came for me to meet my team and my mentor and I was a bag of nerves. My team turned out to be a lovely bunch of people and my mentor was the nicest person I have ever met in my life (I'm not exaggerating, I swear).

We all got in a coach and started the short one hour journey to the Surrey outdoors center. Once there, we settled into our cabins unpacked and got to know each other a bit better. We also took a nighttime stroll through the woods which although I wouldn't admit it at the time, scared the begesus out of me. The rest of the week consisted of challenging ourselves personally (and physically I feel I should add). We climbed a rock climbing wall, we mountain biked, we played archery (which I found that I LOVED) and also completed a number of trust exercises as a team. The big challenge came on Wednesday when we had to make a 6 hour hike to our campsite where we would spend the night. Although the hike was really hard at times (especially when I needed to pee three hours in) I thoroughly enjoyed it and the feeling of liberation that washes over you when you get to the campsite is indescribable.


 Some of the views on the hike were amazing and I really wish I took more photographs but I did make a video! The Only problem is that its about 8 minutes long so will take agessss to upload. I'll try and get it up tomorrow [Video up now! Click here] I feel like I have been babbling on for too long now so I'll just quickly sum everything up by saying all though there were times when I really found it tough in terms of making conversation and gelling as quickly as everyone else did I had a really great first week and I definitely felt as if I challenged myself.

I will be blogging every single day this week so make sure you check back everyday for a new post! Part two and part three of my NCS experience will also be up this week. If you have any questions about the National Citizen Service then please feel free to ask me! Have any of you been on NCS?

Tosin


1 comment:

  1. doing the NCS stuff in October- summer is too much of a busy time for me to o it! But reading this just makes me feel alright about doing it. cheers

    ReplyDelete

I read, love and appreciate all your comments, if you want me to check out your blog then just leave a link! (but please don't ask me to follow you)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...