Tuesday, 16 July 2013

Do strawberries bleed?

In church on Sunday, a few weeks back, whilst enjoying a little snack of different fruits, a little girl came up to me and asked me "Do strawberries bleed?" Hence the title of this post. Nothing more, nothing less.



Strawberry Shortcake is another recipe out of my Cake Magic recipe book and this one proved more a challenge than I originally thought. The first issue I had was that the recipe, which was supposed to be enough to make three layers, only made two. I thought ho-hom, I can still make it work. The second issue was whipping the cream. Now there I was thinking "I can so do this by hand!". Ten minutes later, the double cream was still sitting in my bowl as watery as ever. 


I had no other choice than to whip out (see what I did there) my electric whisk and let it do all the magic. By now my shortcakes where done and I took them out of the oven to find they were a crumbly mess. Not good. I took a deep breath and though to myself, I can do this. I thought wrong. Whilst trying to get one of the layers out of the pan. I hit a bit to hard causing the cake to go flying out of the pan and into a crumbly pile of nothing on the floor. Oh, how at this point I nearly ran out of the kitchen in tears. 


But no. I persevered. To scared to try and get the second layer out of the tin, I worked on it with the base still firmly attached to the bottom of the shortcake. I threw on the whipped cream and cut up strawberries and made a pretty decent looking cake. Although I was still mourning from the loss of one layer, an idea hit me. I gathered up the crumbs (that were still goood of course) and stuffed them into the bottom of little pots, topped them with cream and then strawberries. I was pretty pleased with the results.


I was very happy with myself in the end because I tried to make the best of a bad situation. 

plumcherrytree

follow me on bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read, love and appreciate all your comments, if you want me to check out your blog then just leave a link! (but please don't ask me to follow you)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...